Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Brewed: Rye Pale Ale

About two years ago, I came up with the idea to use rye in one of my beers.  Though novel to me, this idea was not a new one.  It seems that rye has been used in beer for hundreds of years, but has been relatively unpopular due to its being banned outright by the Germans in 1516 via the Reinheitsgebot.  Thankfully, in America, and any other country that couldn't care less about the Reinheitsgebot, anything goes when it comes to beer.  Just ask Dogfish Head, my radically brewing, unofficial mentors.  Rye adds a very peculiar and distinct flavor to just about anything it comes in contact with and therefore, in my mind, is a prime candidate for a beer ingredient.  I'm a big fan of rye bread, especially when it contains pastrami and spicy mustard, but also in general because of its famous bite and pleasant dryness.  Irish whiskey presents these flavors well as it is a main ingredient in most if not the only in some.  However, in order to experience this flavor first hand in a beer, I had to go a bit overboard.  This became the now infamous "Marble Rye" beer.  It was the lovechild of two fairly outlandish ideas: a heavy bodied, intensely flavored session beer and a rye beer.  This beer was, admittedly, unpopular due mostly to the two characteristics that inspired it: heaviness and rye flavor.  However, it did allow me to prove to myself that I could brew with rye as well as what rye tastes like in a beer.  These are both important lessons as they lead to the inspiration for the next, but not only, use of rye in our beers.

The Rye Pale Ale has its own story to tell.  In an effort to erect a shining symbol of his admiration of Magic Hat Number 9, Brewmaster Mike, decided to create his own interpretation of this well known beer.  In the evolution of the creation of this beer, Brewmaster Mike decided not to include the signature apricot flavor in this his rendition of Magic Hat Number 9.  The first brew of this beer was a fantastic blend of light malt flavor and crispy hops, refreshing its consumers with flavors of grapefruit and lemons.  Brewmaser Jason, in a moment of brilliance, decided a sharp bite would compliment this blend of hops and barley well.  Thankfully, due to my mishaps with rye, he added flaked rye to the grain bill.  The combination has been a sought after delight by the Brewmasters ever since.  I believe it has been brewed 3 or 4 times now and every time excites us all.  We can only wait now for it to reach maturity and grace us with its rye inspired robustness.

Recipe: Rye Pale Ale

2 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right Kevin. Not adding apricot was the best decision I've made in over 2 years of brewing and represents one of my biggest brewing philosophies. That is not adding what I call "artificial flavoring". Meaning, that if it isn't one of the 4 ingredients in beer I won't add it, water, hops, grain, yeast (save for a few traditional spice additions in some styles). If I want a flavor to stand out I'll find the best balance of hops and grain to bring out that flavor and I will determine how best to manipulate yeast fermentation to add those flavors. (One of the more challenging things to do as a home brewer, but one of the most important if you ask me.)

    After brewing this beer the first time, I couldn't drink another Magic Hat #9. A shame too. It fails in comparison to this original recipe. But, Brewmaster J, in a moment of brilliance, like you mentioned, decided to add the rye. This can be chalked up as one of the most brilliant decisions we've made in more than 2 years of brewing. The balance we have now with the rye, malt, fruit from the yeast and hops is just phenomenal.

    However, with this batch I wanted to bring out some more flavors that would compliment the rye, some more earthy, herby and woody notes. Some brewers would say, "throw some woods chips in it." But not me, that isn't one of the 4 ingredients you use to make beer. While this may be seen as a limitation to my brewing process, I consider it a great challenge. What can I add that will bring out a woody balance to the rye? Well, enter Pacific Jewel hops from New Zealand. 14% AA and a very earthy nose. This hop is said to add woody taste to the beer. So, we'll see in about 3 weeks how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with everything you said. Let's keep up the good work. I too am excited about this version of the Rye. We will keep working it, little by little, and it will get better and better. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete