Thursday, February 11, 2010

Beer Gadget: An Introduction

Someone once quoted Benjamin Franklin as having said, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Whether or not he actually said it is completely irrelevant. Simply the fact that someone said he said this famous quote should be enough to get a blog about my passions started. That being said, I have two hobbies: homebrewing beer and obsessing over gadgets.

Homebrewing beer is not only a passion of mine, but a creative outlet. I enjoy tasting, analyzing, sharing, and discussing all things beer/brewing. Creating recipes allows me to explore what I would really want in a beer and keeps me searching for the next beer I want to experience. Its a great feeling to be able to drink any beer, off the shelf or homebrewed, imagine what it could be, then create something new and different based on a feeling or desire. The other side of homebrewing is the fellowship during and sharing of a brewday. Its a great feeling to enjoy the company of people that love what you love, no matter what it is. Its like hanging out with people you work with, but everyone loves their job. Its hard to find a profession that this is true. Brewing may be the only "profession" (hobby, for most) that allows this kind of interaction amongst people, but let's not forget that this hobby/profession is based around alcohol. It greases the wheels of your inhibitions, emotions, and excitement. We have all seen what it is capable of; fortunately, brewers, at least in my experience, know a little bit better and try to enjoy the beer for its subtle flavors, textures, and aromas. This usually keeps brewers honest, allowing them pleasant company and sophisticated conversation.

Gadgets, on the other hand, are a whole 'nother beast. Since they appeal to the masses on a huge scale, followers of these minute machines cross all demographics. From fanbois in high, or even middle, schools to CEOs in their ivory towers, people love gadgets. Conversations about gadgets can be as sophisticated as those of beer, but can also be juvenile, ignorant, and fool-hearty as a three-year-old clinging to his or her blanky. For these reasons I have chosen to learn, obsess, and wonder about gadgets from afar. However, this doesn't mean I strictly look and don't touch. My deeply rooted fascination with gadgets stems mostly from my profession in electrical engineering. Every day I am blown away by what tech companies are doing with silicon and copper. From phones to TVs to power generation, these companies are furthering civilization in new and exciting ways.

There you have it, Gadgets and Beer: two of my loves/obsessions displayed and described for you. I can only hope you too enjoy these amazing facets of society as I do. Here's to creativity and fascination. Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't tasted any of your fancy beer yet!

    And I look forward to hearing about your gadgets. I love a good gadget. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew youd appreciate it! You'll have to come to visit to taste the beer! :)

    ReplyDelete